You can't avoid stress. But you can work on getting through it. Below is a list of things you can do to calm yourself down when you're stressed out.
To all my fellow nerds, these strategies specifically target the vagus nerve which is a key component in activating our parasympathetic nervous system which is responsible for taking us out of "fight or flight" and into "rest and digest".
- Sing or chant. Ever wonder why every culture and religion, every baby, and every Disney movie character sings? Its because it makes us happy and alleviates stress. It also can help lower HRV, get us into flow states, and increase oxytocin.
- Breathe deeply and slowly. Your inhaled and exhales should be audible, like the whooshing sound of the ocean. Try to time your breaths so the inhale and exhale are equal in time duration.
- Laugh. Do I really need to explain the laughing makes you feel better!?!
- Gargling. Apparently using the muscles in the back of your throat activates the vagus nerve and stimulates your digestive tract. And its silly and that releases stress. Probably dont laugh and gargle at the same time though.
- Ask for help. No need to be a hero or a solitary island. Its ok to need help. People love helping. And connecting to others has been associated with health and longevity.
If you need more help dealing with the stressors of life, please reach out to me to make an appointment! I would love to help you manage your day to day stress and big picture stress.