Most people in this f###ed up culture get number obsessed. It’s easy to get sucked into the lie the number on a scale, your jeans, a nutrition label or on your fitbit dictates you're worth. Or that you can measure your value based on how many followers your have, how many likes that post got, or how many people swiped right on you. Or maybe it’s how many dollars you have in the bank or how many cars and houses you own that are your measure.
Those numbers aren't necessarily worthless, but you are worth so much more. And, as the great philosopher Jim Carrey (yup...that Jim Carrey) said, "I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer."
It'd be nice if we could step away from numbers all together and find our happiness in our inherent worth and insecure relationships. But because the journey can be long, and we may not be able to quit numbers cold-turkey, here are some ideas of other numbers to be considered:
- how many people you smiled at today
- how many times you picked yourself up and kept going
- how many times you stopped to (literally or metaphorically) smell the rose
- how many times you stopped to count my breath or your blessing
- how long you can listen and be fully present with a friend or family member
- how many times you stood up for someone (including yourself)
- how many prayers or affirmations you've said
- how many times you did the right thing, even when it was hard
- how many times you laughed
- how often you've loved and let love in
If you are having anxiety or if you find yourself with destructive thoughts over the numbers you face on a daily basis I would love to help. Reach out to me today and let's get you focused in the right direction.