I work with a lot of young sassy women who are single and ready to mingle. They're out on the apps looking for a partner, so we spend a good amount of time working on how they show up in relationships so they can find a good match. In that process, I have been exposed to A LOT of dating profiles, making it easy to decipher good from bad profiles. The following is for the fellas who are also on these dating apps looking to find love!
10 Mistakes Men Make in Online Dating Profiles
- You have an "about me" section available to you in your profile but choose to say NOTHING. (almost as bad is just listing height or your Instagram handle.)
- All pics are selfies. Don't you have friends or family? Don't you do anything other than flex shirtless in your bathroom?
- All pics have a bunch of people. I don't want to be a detective and sleigh out which one is you
- You just talk about you and what you like to do. It’s more helpful to include what you're looking for or what you'd hope to do with your potential date.
- You just talk about what you don’t like. You sound pouty, judgemental, and negative...not attractive.
- Your "about me" section is just a joke or sarcastic or absurd statement. Women don't know you or your tone and you come off as bro-y or give off the impression that you're not taking dating seriously
- You have pics with a bunch of women. You may be trying to look cool or make women jealous, but that doesn't impress women and breeds mistrust before you have even met.
- There are no full body pics or no clear pictures of your face. Its shady.
- You're defensive. Not everyone is going to want to date a man with kids. Not everyone is going to want a date a Republican. But if your profile has something along the lines of "I have a kid/I voted for Trump/etc, deal with it or you're a terrible human", you may want to take a softer approach (and might want to reflect on why you're so angry or defensive before you go on those dates...just sayin').
- You have photos of your fancy car (and you're not even in the pic). You might as well say "I have money, please like me."
I believe in you men out there. I believe you are more than your profiles and can do better. And when you show up differently, you will find women respond differently to you too.
If you are dating and want help navigating the app world, sorting through dates, and cultivating more meaningful connections, don't hesitate to reach out. I love this work!